Journey to Topaz Journal Entries

images

Chapter 1

I am Yuki. It was a normal day, father was gardening and Ken was out studying. We were set to have dinner soon. Suddenly there was a report on the radio. I was gathered around with my parents. What we heard changed the tone for the rest of the day. Pearl Harbor had been bombed by the Japanese. We tried to continue as if it was not true, that maybe there was a mix up. My family and I could not believe the Japanese would do that, why would they do that? Mother still seemed a bit upset about what she had heard. She started baking, she only does that for one of two reasons, when she is worried or when she can not fathom something else but in this case it seemed I can’t believe my father was taken away.  I don’t even understand what’s going on.

Chapter 6

We’re arriving at our new “home”, I find a couple of old friends from church and go to greet them as I usually would. I do not want this experience to change me. I want to make the best of it. I get to our stall and begin to clean I need to make this the best time possible and make it feel as close to home as possible. Yuki is now finding out that there are no doors in the restrooms, no privacy for my little girl or anyone. They have us living here like animals, we are nothing to them but a number. How harsh could they be to people that have not done anything to them? We were not involved in the attack, we do not deserve this. On the bright side we at least got the last mattresses available, but I feel bad that we got the last mattresses. I can only imagine the other families coming in that are now having to lay on what once was the mess of horses. My kids are upset and I can’t even comfort them with tea or candy. Where are our luggage we packed, I need them. We need them. Mr. Toda came by, freezing, but still didn’t bother him enough to bring my little girl peanuts. I didn’t realize Yuki would get so excited about it but I guess anything good that can happen in this place is a blessing. Our luggage has finally came and I feel much better sharing the tea I packed with my family, it helps give the sense that this is home.

Chapter 9

I want to leave to go after my dreams of going back to Japan for college and my family is all for it minus Yuki. Maybe not all for it but at least they respect my decisions. I know Yuki and I are close but so am I with the rest of my family. Having to leave my family is hard enough since I will not have them with me over there but now since they do not want me to go it is making things harder than ever. I have been discussing it with my friend and were both deciding to stay, we need to stick together more than ever at this point. I can tell Yuki knows I do not like looking like a softie so she showed her thanks in the lowest form possible and I appreciate her for that and her chocolate bar.

Chapter 10 

I was so excited to be finding out that ken was staying instead of leaving us to go to college but now I remembered how horrible this place is. I love writing to mimi to make me feel like I still have a connection to the outside of this barracks but I slowly regret doing so. I love my little pepper and I miss him so how could I not ask about him but mimi does not want to respond and I could not understand why. What did I do wrong? Is it something I said? I don’t think it could be. I finally received a letter back and it was the most heartbreaking thing I have heard in awhile. Pepper is dead and I do not know how to respond, I burst out in tears but there is not a single place here to have your own privacy. I go back after supper because I could not stand being around everyone without getting emotional. To add to that we’re also leaving and even though I don’t like this place it was starting to feel like home. I am scared to get separated because I see other families calling out to their family members but luckily we didn’t and we’re aboard the train

Chapter 13

I miss Emi and I want her to come home. She was the main person I would talk to. I finally got Emi’s grandmother to spill the beans on what she has and I was right, tuberculosis. I really hope the doctors are doing everything possible to help her. I want to visit her it must be horrible sitting in a room by yourself feeling weak with nothing to do or no one to talk to. On the bright side she is probably warm and cozy, something most of us here at the barracks wish for. At least some of us have since they have closed up the walls and fixed our stoves which helps warm the rooms. Everyone seems to be getting irritated by the fact we’re still here, including Ken. He isn’t the same anymore he’s a bit rude at times but he can’t help it considering the situation we’re still in. I just want this to be over.